Sidor

fredag 12 november 2010

ALS forskning om stamceller

Emory Conducting Landmark Study to Treat ALS

Contact:
Jennifer Johnson: 404-727-5696 Office, 404-227-3683 Mobile
Patient Info: 404-778-7777 or 1-800-75-EMORY
Dr. Jonathan Glass, professor of neurology, Emory School of Medicine, and director of the Emory ALS Center and principal investigator of the clinical trial site.
Emory University researchers are participating in a groundbreaking clinical trial to treat patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) using human neural stem cells.

The Phase 1 trial, approved in 2009 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, is studying the safety of stem cells, and the surgical procedures and devices required, for multiple injections of the cells directly into the spinal cord.

“This is the first U.S. clinical trial of stem cell injections into the spinal cord for the treatment of ALS," says Jonathan Glass, MD, professor of neurology, Emory School of Medicine, and director of the Emory ALS Center and principal investigator (PI) of the clinical trial site.

“Our main goal in this early phase is to determine whether it is safe to inject stem cells into the spinal cord and whether the cells themselves are safe," says Glass.

Since the trial began in January, three patients with ALS have received injections. Up to 12 individuals will be enrolled in the first phase of the trial.

Nicholas Boulis, MD, assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory School of Medicine, and a pioneer in developing surgical methods for delivery of therapeutics to the spinal cord, is performing the surgical procedures. Eva Feldman, MD, PhD, director of research at the University of Michigan Health System ALS Clinic, is the overall PI of the ALS clinical trials program.

“I am confident this study is taking therapies for the spinal cord to a new level,” says Boulis. “Depending on the success of this initial trial, there will be a follow-up phase II trial or a modified phase I trial that utilizes the techniques of surgical implementation.”



Video interview with Dr. Jonathan Glass
Also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, ALS is a fatal neurodegenerative disease with no known cure. It causes the deterioration of specific nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord called motor neurons, which control muscle movement. As the illness progresses, patients lose their ability to walk, talk and breathe. According to the ALS Association, approximately 30,000 Americans have ALS at any given time and patients with the disease usually die within two to five years of diagnosis.

The stem cells used in the study, developed by the Maryland-based biotech company, Neuralstem, Inc., were prepared from cultured neural stem cells and may have the ability to mature into various types of cells in the nervous system. This includes motor neurons, the ones that are specifically lost in ALS.

Scientists say these stem cells will not generate new motor neurons, but may help protect the still-functioning motor neurons and slow the progression of the disease.

“We will closely follow these patients and will be eager to see results,” says Glass. “We are hopeful this is the first step toward a new way of treating the people who face this devastating disease.”

Watch an interview with Glass on YouTube.

Patient Information

For more patient information about the trial, please visit the Emory ALS Center website or call HealthConnection at 404.778.7777 or 1-800-75-EMORY.

###

Guides to Emory
Prospective Students
Students
Faculty & Staff
Alumni
Parents & Visitors
Patients
News Release Tools
Print
| More
Related Resources
Video: "Emory Conducting Landmark Study to Treat ALS"
Video: "ALS Patient Stories"
Article: "On borrowed time"
Emory ALS Center
Patient Information
About This Trial

Archives
News Releases
Emory Report
Subscribe
RSS feeds
News Releases by Email
Most Viewed News

• Civil Rights Leaders to Speak

• Vitamin D, Parkinson's Link

• Africa University Dean to Lecture

• Hospital Is Consumer Choice Winner

• Mindfulness Treatment Curbs Depression
HOME| CONTACT EMORY| EMERGENCY| EMPLOYMENT| MAKE A GIFT| ABOUT EMORY'S WEB
Copyright © Emory University 2009 - All Rights Reserved | 201 Dowman Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30322 USA 404.727.6123

3 kommentarer:

  1. i was diagnosed with ALS. my symptoms progressed quickly. son i was having difficulty breathing, swallowing and even walking short distance. With the help of DR JUDE HERBAL FORMULA, i have been able to reserve my symptoms using his herbs formula which i feel has made the most difference. it reserved my ALS. visit DR JUDE NATURAL HERBAL MEDS on blog
    [drjudenaturalherbs. blogspot. com] or reach him directly on email, [drjuderobert@gmail.com]

    SvaraRadera
  2. For years, I have read and seen the advertisements in the mass media about all of the penis enhancement pills and thought that they were all scams or gimmicks. All of the medical sites that I have visited stated that none of the herbal supplements would ever help increase the size of a penis. I got very depressed when I read this, because unfortunately I was not naturally blessed with a penis that was big enough to arouse my sexual partner or past partners. I am a man that is past my sexual prime time and my sexual performance has a lot to be desired. I decided to try Doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine after all the reading and researching that I have done.I saw a testimony " Joe" about doctor Akhigbe Herbal Medicine Since there is a Money Back Guarantee, I give him a trial what did I have to lose? I couldn't believe the results I was seeing after drinking the Natural  Herbal Medicine  and Herbal Soap to be Rubin my penis! he sent to me through DHL courier delivery service . Within about 2 weeks I had a noticeable increase in the girth of my penis. Then after a couple of additional week it started to grow in length and I was amazed and very excited.before I finish the drink and the soap my penis had grown an additional two inches. I've had a considerable improvement with my sex life and these pills are certainly worth every penny I spent on them! I want to thank Dr Akhigbe for the time and effort they have spent on helping people in my situation.I know many are out there who are suffering this problem and they need help, email him.    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com.    He also cure other diseases like: Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Breast Enlargement. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count.  Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Corneal Ulcer, Gallstone, Terminal Illnesses, Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Weak Erection.  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. HPV.  Impotence Effection, Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism, thyroid, Autism, Penis enlargement,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. For your cure email him now:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    or Contact his number:  +2349010754824.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi!!
    I want to especially thank Dr. Godsent Yare for helping me get cured of the Genital Herpes Virus. I was diagnosed last 2 summers and my doctor said no cure for the virus. I was in big trouble until I saw this sincere sounding YouTube post-https://youtu.be/Uw-l6rfcOl4 online testifying about Dr. Godsent Yare, How he cured A lady with ALS/MND disease using his herbal healing cure. I contacted him based on the good testimonies I was seeing about him on the internet, how he cured so many people from different diseases and Viruses with his roots, herbs, and healing oil. I placed an order and received medicines after 4 working days and commerce treatment as instructed, now I'm happily sharing my own testimony to the world that I'm cured. If you need help to cure HSV1-2 or any other disease or virus, contact him today on his email; dryareherbalcurehome@gmail.com Or Call/Whatsapp his number on +2348164653711, +2348148010628. I hope that everyone reading this post should share and refer to others who need help to cures to Dr. Yare's website; http://bit.ly/2dBFYeW for additional information. When people know better, they do better! You will be glad you did.

    Covid-19 Pandemic is real, stay home stay safe.

    SvaraRadera